Totem Animal Number 2 (July 31, 2015)

After finishing the owl totem, I wanted to create another animal that spoke to me. I was really affected by the lunar moth that I found and then mounted. That was explained in a very early blog entry in September 19, 2012. I had this great visual resource so I decided to draw a lunar moth. The final image is presented below.




Totem Animal Mandala Drawings (July 23, 2015)

After my collaboration the David Freeman, the mathematician, I began using this geometric spirograph pattern as a backdrop for different totem animals. The first one was a white owl swooping down on prey. You may recall my posting of a barn owl sketch for my niece Kat on January 1, 2015. You can see it by searching back to January in this blog. I liked this sketch and wanted to reproduce it on a black field to give it a more ominous feel. I liked the spirograph in the background as a subtle web or trap. By melding these two images together – I started on this new series of choosing certain totem animals and placing them in some kind of mandala pattern. In this way, these animals become more symbols or totems rather than illustrations. I have posted a photo of it below.




Compass Painted on Big Tree Stump (July 15, 2015)

Recently my friend had a huge oak tree taken down in front of their lakehouse property. It left a huge stump that is about 4 feet in diameter. He asked what I thought would be a good creative idea to do with it. His wife suggested that he hollow it out and use it as a planter. However, that would have been a big time-consuming task and did not even know how to go about it so he asked me for alternative ideas.  The first thing I thought was that I could burn an image of a compass into the top of the stump. The more I thought about it – I realized that it would be very problematic to actually burn into a new stump and suggested that I could paint the compass on top of the stump.

He agreed that was a good idea and that is what I did – I first put a coat of ivory oil-based enamel on the surface and then painted the details with a black oil-based enamel. I originally was planning on using marine deck paint but the store that normally carrys that paint did not have any so I used the oil-based exterior enamel. I highlighted the eyes with a little blue just to give it some focus and color.

My friend asked me what to do to keep it looking good. I said that he could put some polyurethane over it but instead suggested that he just let it weather and see how it ages. He could always put the polyurethane on later.

I an curious to see how it weathers. It was challenging to paint the details on because the top surface was not flat – it had a lot of ridges and parts of the stump sticking up further than others.

I have posted a photo of it below. It was hard to get far enough above it to take this shot.



Collaboration with Mathematician continued again. (July 8, 2015)

The last collaborations we created were started by David Freeman and then finished by me. These last two images are fourteen inch square. We started off small with four six inch squares, then moved on to two forty-two inch squares and finished with two fourteen inch squares. The last two are pictured below.